Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog #3 Writing Peer Reviews

Peer editing is a very useful technique for students. Not only are you able to give feedback to other students and share ideas, but it is always helpful for another person to critique your work. Sometimes students over look gramatic and punctuation errors because they have re-read their own work so many times they fail to catch their own mistakes. I have chosen to edit my peers' work through email. In my opinion, this way allows me to privately give my critiques and ideas without having to post them publicly. Also, I find it better to communicate with individual group members when critiquing each other's work through email. With email communication, if one of my peers suggests something I may want them to elaborate on, we can communicate privately with each other without it being visible to the rest of the classmates and other people who may be viewing our blogs.

 The video What is Peer Editing?  provides great key points to remember when editing a paper. For example, the video says to remember to be positive and compliment your peers. No one wants to read  negative or harsh comments about their work, especially not from another student. We want to encourage and help each other to submit the best work possible. The video  "Writing Peer Review Top Ten Mistakes"  was a humorous and helpful video that displayed the most common peer editing mistakes. Always keep in mind that you should never be too picky, harsh, or defensive when it comes to editing each other's work. Peer editing is a method used to get students to work together and help each other, not to put someone down or discouraged. All of the resources that were given in this week assignment are helpful tools for peer editing. The sideshow had a wonderful exercise to practice editing another students' work. This exercise not only challenges you to find mistakes, but is a great way to practice commenting on someone else's work. I learned to go back and read your comments and make sure they are not offensive or vague. Remember you want to critique your peers' work they same way you would critique there's. 



2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathleen - I enjoyed reading your post. One of the things that you wrote that really stood out to me is "Sometimes students over look gramatic and punctuation errors because they have re-read their own work so many times they fail to catch their own mistakes". You were spot on with this statement. I think we also know in our head what we are trying to say and we read what we want and not what always is. I don't disagree with your reasoning for peer editing privately, but had a different thought perspective on a comment you made. You wrote "With email communication, if one of my peers suggests something I may want them to elaborate on, we can communicate privately with each other without it being visible to the rest of the classmates and other people who may be viewing our blogs." What if you did make it public and elaboration was given which led to more ideas given by classmates/people reading your blogs? Depending on the topic and the elaboration, you could open a whole new network of opportunity. I also agree with your comment that "We want to encourage and help each other to submit the best work possible". If you are peer editing with other reasons in mind, then you shouldn't be participating. Watch for grammatical and spelling error as there were a few in your post. I like to read my posts out loud and that helps me to catch some of my errors. I am not sure what the error is but I am unable to view your pictures on your blog. Hope you continue to have a great semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. The images at the end of your post are not visible. Check the html code for them.

    ReplyDelete